Friday, January 8, 2010

Some Bugs That I have come Across While Using Sphinx

I have been using sphinx now for more than 10 months now and almost on a daily basis i develop new things based on sphinx search.During my recent development i have come across some of the unknown or unmentioned bugs in sphinx search.

Keyword Length has a limit

say for example in my case i had to search in my index file for keyword pizza hut in some fields like name,reviews etc and a bunch of zip codes in zip code field, these bunch of zip codes can be anything around ten to hundreds of then depending on the distance a user selects for a search. now what i did is i wrote a query like this:

@(name,review)pizza hut @(zip_code)60606|60605|........ and so on

but what i found out is that when the collection of zip codes exceeds above 90 sphinx gives me empty set.which was a big problem in my case.

so what i came up as a solution is that i divided the zip codes into groups of 50 and then queried sphinx multiple times and got the result from sphinx and then combined those results for further processing of data...

No comments:

Post a Comment